Monday 2 July 2012

Roy Will Be Less Combative

Jérémy Roy sets off on the roads of the Tour de France

Last year, Jérémy Roy, inspired columnist in his free time, was designated Super-Combative* rider of the Tour de France thanks in particular to his 735km spent in the lead, the second- highest total behind his teammate, Mickaël Delage. But there’s no need to expect him to win a double like riders before him, such as Laurent Jalabert (2001-02), Jacky Durand (1998-99), Richard Virenque (1996-97), and also Eddy Merckx (1969-70, 74-75).

“Unlike past years, we have a sprinter on the team (Belarussian Yauheni Hutarovich),” he says. “It’s more necessary to protect him and perhaps that will be my role, that of breaking the wind, so I won’t be able to join breakaways as much. I will perhaps be less spirited but that will tire me just as much. That’s part of my job. Of course, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at another supercombative title either. But if I get it, it will mean that I’ve had some beautiful breakaways. The Tour that I had last year was fabulous and the hardest is yet to come. I hope to get there in winning a stage.”

* At the end of each, a jury composed of journalists, former cyclists and commissaires selects the Most Combative Rider of the day, rewarded for their spirit. At the end of the Tour, the jury also awards the Super-Combative Rider of the Tour through a separate vote.

On his second place during the French Time Trial Championships

“I’m trying to forget,” he says, half-jokingly. “13 seconds, that’s nothing over fifty kilometres. To come so close to the tricolour jersey… In a year, we will have forgotten that I finished second, we only remember the winner. But I have no regrets, I was at my max. I was a little weakened at the end, unlike Sylvain (Chavanel), but even so, I’ve succeeded in better managing my high-intensity efforts. Before, I perhaps used to go out a little too fast. I’ve always liked this exercise and I’ve always had reasonable results, especially in the time trials over 20kms. I've practised my position, my equipment and above all I’ve gained confidence."

Written by X.C. for L’Équipe at http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Roy-sera-moins-combatif/295003

Translated by Caelli Greenbank

No comments:

Post a Comment